Question:
do you tip? why or why not?
Awesome Amazing Alex
2006-04-16 22:17:55 UTC
this includes pizza delivery,bathroom vallet,waitress..etc
Eighteen answers:
tech_fanatic
2006-04-17 07:36:37 UTC
I always tip whenever someone does something for me. Vallets, waiter/waitress, concierge, transfer driver, pizza delivery, etc. I would rather tip someone and spend a little money, than feel uncomfortable in a situation where your not really sure what would be proper.
2006-04-20 22:18:33 UTC
The truth about tipping the pizza delivery guy.

The reason behind a tip is simple. It puts the customer in a position of power, and rewards good service.

Suppose there were a pizza company whos employees did not work for tips, but were instead paid a flat rate of $10 dollars per hour. The driver would have no incentive to do a good job, because he could do as little as possible and still make his $10. Nor is the driver accountable to the customer. Keep in mind that the stores cost to pay the drivers $10 an hour would be reflected in the prices of its products, something that the customers would be paying for anyways. With the tipping system prices are down, drivers are rewarded, and customers get what they pay for! (and faster) Everybody wins! There would be no pizza delivery if drivers made 5 - 6 dollars per hour without tips, because they couldn't AFFORD to do their jobs.

Of course there are people who will take advantage of the system, they are known as stiffers. People that, regardless of reason, choose not to tip, or tip less than $1. These people exploit not only the driver, but also the tipping customers. If a driver didn't make tips, he would not be working; in effect, the tippers are footing the bill for the stiffs.

If you prefer not to tip for good service, please pick your order up at the store. If you can afford a pizza, you can afford a tip. If you still want something for nothing, you are being selfish.

A delivery charge does NOT constitute a tip, nor does it go to a driver! Nor does the driver want you to pay a delivery charge! Back when pizzerias advertized 'free delivery', drivers were still paid an allowance to help pay fuel/maintenance costs. The allowance paid was already 'built in' to the price of your order. Today the companies tack on a deceiving 'delivery charge', but its really just a price increase. This money goes into the pockets of store owners, and hurts the drivers!

Drivers can leave a store with 5+ orders in their vehicle. Guess who gets theirs last? first? The entire team stands to make more money by keeping the tippers happy first. If you don't tip, the system actually works against you.

Tippers pay lower prices, stiffs pay more! On the phone drivers will offer the best specials available to the tippers, include coupons, and juggle any available discounts to make the tipper happy. Stiffs will only be offered run of the mill specials on the phone, and coupons will be ripped off boxtops delivered to stiffs... its not just vindictive, but if stiffs stop ordering the team has more resources available to cater to the tips. Drivers can make more money by NOT servicing the stiffs!

If a stiff orders, the driver misses his 'turn' to deliver to a tipper. (read; more money NOT servicing a stiff)

Food tampering? Its not a threat, but with MILLIONS of deliveries per day, the odds say its happening.

Drivers remember stiffs to a degree I cannot fully express! If you were literally smacked in the face at someones house, you would never forget the place or person who did it. Even 3 years later, I can pull into a drive and know that this house is a stiff. 80% of the time I know as soon as the order is placed.

If you have stiffed drivers from a store more than twice, most if not all drivers already KNOW that you are a stiff. And they WILL remember you. Drivers let eachother know who the stiffs are.

Only about 1 in 14 deliveries are stiffs. Stiffs are usually the same repeat offenders.

$1 was a tip in the 80's, $2 is the recommended minimum. $2.80 has been about average for me. (stiffs averaged in) $5+ puts you on the a list. Forget tipping the pizza guy a percentage of your bill, the price of your order is not important. Its the job being done that counts. (the exception is for huge orders, say 10 - 100 pies... try divide the tip amongst everyone)
sunsetwatcher68
2006-04-16 22:23:28 UTC
Always. People take service jobs where gratuity is the norm because they are expecting to make a living on tips. However, I don't tip the full 15-20% anytime I did most of the work, such as buffets. If the waiter brought the drinks only at buffets, I just leave a couple dollars.

I have been known to tip over 20% for good service, and have a friend who has tipped up to 40%!!
browneyedmaiden
2006-04-16 22:22:40 UTC
I tip if I've had good service. Whether it is a pizza delivery, bathroom valet, or waitress. I come into contact more with waitresses, and if they are rude, or just too distracted to "wait" my table, I put a penny, heads down, on the table. I look at it this way...she is there to make sure that everything is going fine, tastes fine and such. If she doesn't come back to check on my table, she doesn't deserve a tip!
2006-04-16 22:26:40 UTC
I tip well, if the service is good, because as a former bartender, I know that people rely on tips to live. But if someone isn't friendly and doesnt make sure I have everything I need, then I'll leave a buck figuring they'll catch the hint that the service sucked. If I'm with someone, who's paying, and they leave a lousy tip, I always add to it.
ncasu4got
2006-04-16 22:38:08 UTC
As you have all ready been told 15% to 20% for services renedered and for improved services don't forget your valet/maid/bell boy if you tip well you may be rewarded with better service and the good sheets. For restaurants and bartenders although you should tip you may however if service was undeserving leave a note instead. As it is considered rude not to tip you should at least inform the service person of their failure so they may correct wrongs in the future. I believe there is no need to tip bad service.
johnnybutt12
2006-04-16 22:18:55 UTC
Yeah, always pizza delivery ppl and waiters/waitresses. Bathroom attendants no, because I never take any mints or anything like that.
jenjf5678
2006-04-16 22:22:13 UTC
I tip because it's the right thing to do. You should tip any time a service is rendered. Usually, the people offering the service aren't getting paid very well to begin with. In order to continue providing the service, they need to be adequately compensated through tips.
2006-04-16 22:20:52 UTC
I typically tip at least 20 percent unless the service was really bad. Mainly because I am a woman and women are stereotypically horrible tippers and I want to bust the myth.
2006-04-16 22:19:30 UTC
Of course. Usually 15%, 5-10% if the service is bad. 20% if it's good.
Frazier
2006-04-16 22:23:28 UTC
i only tip if i am really impressed with the service get. otherwise i don't. i don't like the idea of tipping someone for doing a there job. tips should only be give if they go beyond there said job titles. i don't tip a cop for giving a ticket after all its his job. i don't tip a doctor for saving my life and doesn't that deserve a tip i mean he saved you from death. i don't tip because society says i should i tip only if i am impressed and even then its like 5 bucks no matter what the check.
barbie_hick
2006-04-16 22:21:10 UTC
YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO TIP!!! Waiters/Waitresses in most states are paid lower than minimum wage because their position RELIES on tips.
peakcox
2006-04-22 03:55:32 UTC
if the tip is not already included in the total then i tip, but if the waiter or waitress is rude then i dont tip them anything
IBL
2006-04-16 22:20:17 UTC
In Australia - tips aren't expected. I don't get tips in my job, so why should I tip anyone else! Here, emplyees are paid a normal wage, so they don't need to be tipped.
sol2j
2006-04-16 22:23:56 UTC
Always....For great service 20-35%....bad service 10%....Most of these people depend on tips to make a living....Put yourself in there shoes....

This is my tip to you.....Tip....
sheilzzzzzzzz
2006-04-16 22:19:53 UTC
depends. I check the receipt and if service charge is included i dont give tips.
2006-04-16 22:58:57 UTC
i have only tipped a few times in my life. It is not necessary
pumpkin
2006-04-16 22:21:44 UTC
of course...for future better service...